Today, December 14, 2021 is a special occasion at TACF: Roast Chestnuts Day! As we enjoy this holiday season, the tune of Nat King Cole’s famous 1946 “The Christmas Song” brings forth cheerful appreciation for “chestnuts roasting on an open fire.” TACF’s hopeful mission to rescue the iconic American chestnut tree ensures that future generations may continue the sentimental holiday tradition of roasting chestnuts with loved ones. There are many ways to observe Roast Chestnuts Day; continue reading for some festive and fun ideas to celebrate the occasion:
- Support TACF. Give the gift of TACF membership to someone special this holiday season, and among other great benefits, they will enjoy receiving our award-winning Chestnut magazine three times a year. Or use your Amazon Prime account to fundraise for TACF with AmazonSmile, and TACF will receive 0.5% of eligible purchases with no additional cost or fees to you. We also offer a number of giving options, all of which support our mission to rescue the American chestnut tree. Thank you!
- Roast Chestnuts! While the legendary American chestnut remains a rare treat for most, other chestnut varieties can be found in many grocery stores during this season. Check out TACF’s Chestnut Chat #16 “Cooking with Chestnuts” to learn more about everything from best roasting methods to making delicious savory and sweet recipes.
- Try a Chestnut Beer. Among our favorites are two excellent brown ales crafted by breweries based in North Carolina. Ask your local beer merchants about the Bread Tree Brown Ale by Fonta Flora Brewery and the Bended Tree Chestnut Brown Ale by Seven Clans Brewing. Drink responsibly.
- Tune into the Christmas Past Podcast’s Chestnut episode, featuring TACF Director of Restoration Sara Fitzsimmons.
- Learn more about the history of the iconic American chestnut tree here, and check out TACF’s “In the News” page to find a variety of stories from across the tree’s native range and beyond.
- Sing along to the classic tune we all know and love, Nat King Cole’s “The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You).”
- Sign up to receive news and updates from TACF including our bimonthly eSprout newsletter which details the latest from our 16 state chapters, featuring events and volunteer opportunities, and coverage of TACF in national media.
- Follow TACF on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to stay up to date on all things chestnut.